BY JON CRONIN
The city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) announced last week that it is implementing more changes as part of the Select Bus Service (SBS) and Vision Zero enhancements to Cross Bay and Woodhaven boulevards.
The DOT explained that the bus and safety improvements will be between 81st Road in Glendale and Rockaway Boulevard in Ozone Park, and are part of the Q52/Q53 Select Bus Service route.
The project will include:
– Lengthening the southbound left-turn bay at Myrtle Avenue
– Installing new slip lanes between Jamaica and 89th avenues
– Constructing pedestrian refuge islands at 81st Road and Myrtle Avenue
– Installing mid-block signalized crosswalk at 88th Avenue
– Continuing SBS treatments
The changes have already begun at Jamaica Avenue and Woodhaven Boulevard at the crosswalks.
“These changes were a part of the original Woodhaven SBS implementation project that were pushed to the 2018 implementation season due to the need to focus on more critical elements for the launch of Q52/Q53 Select Bus Service,” the DOT spokesman said. “The DOT is committing to completing all of the safety and traffic improvements that have been proposed to the community.”