Vander Ende-Onderdonk House
1820 Flushing Ave., Ridgewood
The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House is the oldest Dutch colonial home in New York City. Part of the home has stood since 1660, while another part of the house was constructed in 1709 by Paulus Vander Ende. A stone addition was added by Adrian Onderdonk in 1820 upon the remnants of the 17th-century home.
In 1769, the home played a role as a marker when the line was drawn between Kings and Queens counties. The Onderonk House was saved from demolition in 1975 by the Greater Ridgewood Historical Society. In 1977, the house was turned into a museum and added to the National Register of Historic Places. Today, the house provides a genealogical library, hosts tours and provides cultural activities throughout the year.
The caretakers maintain a beautiful garden and landscape that is popular for weddings. The house has a school program that is geared toward elementary students and often includes a tour of the grounds, colonial craft activities and a slide presentation on local history.