BY JON CRONIN
After a recent windstorm on April 3, a dilapidated Howard Beach bungalow that was blown into the neighboring home was finally cleaned up on April 11.
The April 3 windstorm brought winds up to 50 mile per hour blew the empty home over. It was subject to foreclosure and had been vacant for some time. The City Department of Environmental Protection came on scene this past Monday to complete demolition of the home, according to previously published reports. The crew, hired by the city, pulled parts of the house out of the water and off of the neighboring home it fell on.
According to state Sen. Joseph Addabbo Jr. (D-Howard Beach), all local elected officials called the DEP to report the incident, acknowledging that he couldn’t take sole credit for the expedited clean-up. He said that windstorm took off the roof of the house.
“It was a real mess,” he said.
He noted that he was surprised by how quick the city reacted and secured the property.
According to a Daily News article, neighbor Judith Carroll, whose home had little damage from the house falling on it, was also a Hurricane Sandy victim, and was reported as saying, “It could have been worse.” A Department of Buildings inspector lifted the vacate order issued on her home April 3 after the debris from the collapsed house was removed on Monday.
The owner of the home, Mushe Badalov, bought it at auction and had already gutted it when it was blown over last week.
Reach Reporter Jon Cronin at (718) 357-7400 x125, email@example.com or @JonathanSCronin