BY LUIS GRONDA
Representatives from a transportation advocacy group say a portion of Queens Boulevard is being left out of a City plan to make the so-called “Boulevard of Death” safer.
Two representatives from Transportation Alternatives presented at Tuesday night’s Community Board 9 meeting in Kew Gardens to ask for support in their push to get all of Queens Boulevard included in The Great Street Initiative, which is a DOT project that disperses $250 million to improve four major thoroughfares in the City, including Queens Boulevard.
Out of that money, $100 million will be dedicated to improving Queens Boulevard.
But MTA representatives said the part of the Boulevard that is in Kew Gardens and Briarwood is being left out of that plan.
Jessame Hannus, one of the volunteers with the advocacy group, said DOT is moving forward with the plan, they had a public workshop earlier this year in Sunnyside related to this project, and they hope that all areas of the thoroughfare are included.
“The DOT is moving, things are happening, change is coming, and we all want a chance to participate in the process,” Hannus said. “[We] would hate to see this great redesign just end at Union Turnpike.”
Aida Vernon, president of the Briarwood Action Network, echoed Hannus’ sentiments saying that the people of Briarwood are concerned about safety in their neighborhood as well as on Queens Boulevard.
Hannus said they will be writing a resolution that they hope community boards like CB 9, will support, to show that they are in favor of the Great Street Initiative, but want the entire Queens Boulevard corridor to be included.
In an email, A DOT spokesperson said the agency is open to including those areas in this project as it progresses along Queens Boulevard.
Reach Luis Gronda at (718) 357-7400, Ext. 127, email@example.com, or @luisgronda.