Old Quaker Meeting House
137-16 Northern Blvd., Flushing
The Old Quaker Meeting House has been used as a place of worship by the Religious Society of Friends for more than 300 years. The first recorded meeting held in the structure was in 1694. The original structure is now the easterly third of the current meeting house, which was expanded between 1716 and 1719.
The meeting house was designated as a national historic landmark in 1967 and a New York City landmark in 1970. It is the second-oldest Quaker meeting house in the United States and believed to be the oldest house of worship in New York. It was also the site where the Flushing Remonstrance—a precursor to the U.S. Constitution’s provision on freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights—was written.
The house is a sanctuary where visitors are able to reflect on its eventful past. House caregivers say, “To step across the threshold is to leave the present behind and to enter a profoundly sacred space seasoned by centuries of devotion.”
Worship is held every Sunday at 11 a.m. in the house. Tours of the house and an adjacent graveyard are held on Sundays at noon.