The Forest Park Carousel
Forest Park Drive, Woodhaven
Master woodcarver Daniel Carl Muller crafted figures for 12 carousels in his lifetime. The Forest Park Carousel, a designated New York City landmark in Woodhaven, is one of two of Muller’s carousels that remain.
Muller’s interpretations of horses, unicorns, bears and other menagerie animals populate the carousel, which first became operational in 1903 in Dracut, Massachusetts. William H. Dentzel built the carousel’s frame in 1890 and Muller carved the animals during the same year of the ride’s unveiling. In 1972, the carousel was moved from Dracut to its current home in Forest Park, a sprawling area of hills, trees, sports fields and attractions that covers more than 500 acres.
Upon its arrival, the Forest Park Carousel assumed the location of a previous carousel, also constructed by Dentzel, which burned down in December 1966. Following its move, the Forest Park Carousel operated until 1985, when it fell into disrepair. After extensive renovations, it began operating again in 1989.