Flushing Hospital Medical Center, in conjunction with the New York Surgical Specialists (NYSS) group, has announced that they now offer a safe and effective, non-surgical alternative for individuals who struggle with obesity and have unsuccessfully tried to lose weight through diet and exercise.
Weight loss specialists Sanjeev Rajpal, MD, Darshak Shah, MD, and Noman Khan, MD, are excited that Flushing is one of the only hospitals in the area to offer the revolutionary Obalon weight loss system, the first and only non-surgical and completely non-invasive weight loss treatment option approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Patients who participate in the Obalon treatment swallow a small, coated capsule connected to a thin tube. Once the capsule is digested, it naturally dissolves and a small, lightweight gastric balloon unfolds. This balloon is filled with medical gases via the tube before it is removed. This process is repeated two more times over a six-month period. Each procedure takes 10 minutes, requires no sedation and can be performed in the doctor’s office.
Once expanded, each to the size of a small orange, the three balloons facilitate weight loss by taking up space within the stomach, enabling patients to become fuller while eating less.
After six months, the balloons are removed endoscopically while the patient is under light, conscious sedation.
Throughout the process, patients will receive nutritional and exercise support.
The Obalon Weight Loss System offers many benefits to those patients who do not qualify for or are seeking an alternative to bariatric surgery, including:
• Obalon is clinically proven to be twice as effective as diet and exercise alone
• There are minimal risks or side effects
• No sedation is required
• Obalon is affordable as compared to other surgical weight loss options, but is not currently covered by most insurance providers
• Patients can resume their normal daily lifestyle immediately
• The procedure is completely reversible
Not everyone is a candidate for the Obalon weight loss system. Patients must be:
• At least 22 years old
• Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30-40
• Have not had weight loss surgery
• Are actively attempting to lose weight through diet and exercise
• Are committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle during and after treatment
To learn more information about the Obalon weight loss system, call (718) 408-6977.