BY JOANNE BARRY COLON
Did you know that 45 percent of Americans do not wake up feeling rested? Studies are linking poor sleep patterns to an increase in poor health.
As a Certified Personal Trainer, Essential Oil practitioner and Reiki master, I encourage and educate clients on how to develop a routine for a restful night’s sleep by incorporating the following:
• Avoid eating up to two hours before bedtime—including sweets, fruit, white flour or a heavy meal.
• Be mindful of foods and beverages that have caffeine in the ingredients. Cut back on these items by 3 p.m. to give your body time to digest.
• Avoid watching and listening to TV and the radio—specifically news—late at night.
• Write down anything that may be on your mind causing stress.
• Keep a gratitude list to help raise your vibration, which studies show helps to improve your mood.
My personal favorite, meditation—Chakra Balance Meditation, with or without crystals.
I also recommend using the following five essential oils below to help get a restful night sleep. Each essential oil can be used topically and with a diffuser. When using topically, for sensitive skin, dilute in a carrier oil. For the best quality essential oils, I recommend Doterra:
• Lavendar: decreases anxiety and helps with mild insomnia. To use topically, apply one to two drops on each temple, the back of your neck, where your head and neck meet and the bottom of both feet.
• Clary Sage: encourages tranquility for the body and mind, while helping to sleep through the night. To use topically, apply one drop on each wrist and the bottom of both feet.
• Ylang Ylang: helps to relax and enhance romance with your partner. To use topically, apply one drop on your sacral (below navel) and one drop on your solar plexus (gut).
• Cedarwood: helps with overactive brain and nervous system, improves sleep quality, attention span, memory and mood and emotions. Also helps to ease muscle tension. To use topically, apply one to two drops on your forehead, wrist, and the back of your neck, where your head and neck meet.
• Frankincense: helps to ease over thinking, decreases negative energy and great for mind, body and spirit connection. To use topically, apply one to two drops on your third eye, the back of your neck, where your head and neck meet, wrist and the bottom of both feet.
I recommend consulting with your physician before starting this sleep regimen and, for the best results, working with a Reiki master, Essential Oil practitioner and Certified Personal Trainer. Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Redeem this article to receive a complimentary 30-minute Reiki treatment.