BY ARIEL HERNANDEZ
Police reported the first murder in two years and first shooting in a year at Queensbridge Houses—the nation’s largest public housing development—earlier this week.
On Monday at approximately 4:45 p.m., Javares Batts, 38, was shot three times and killed at 41-10 Vernon Blvd. in Long Island City’s Queensbridge Houses, police said.
Upon arriving at Queensbridge, officers discovered that Batts had gunshot wounds to the chest and torso.
He was transported to NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition and pronounced dead late Tuesday night.
Christopher Giuffre, a lieutenant in the Queens North Homicide Squad, said that there is currently no further information regarding the cause of the shooting. Detectives are reviewing a video from the housing development.
Giuffre said he doesn’t believe that residents at Queensbridge Houses should be on alert as it appears that the shooting was “an isolated incident.”
“The families, seniors and residents of Queensbridge know that their safety is my top priority,” said Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer (D-Sunnyside), who held a celebration in January in recognition of a year of no gun violence at the housing development. “One life lost to gun violence is one too many and we must continue to use all of the tools we have to fight back as a community against the core causes of crime and violence.”
The 114th Precinct posted on its Twitter page screenshots taken from the video footage and a picture of a possible suspect wanted in connection to the murder.
The flyer reads that “the subject resides and hangs out within Queensbridge Housing Development. The subject should be treated as armed and dangerous. Approach with extreme caution.”
Anyone with information regarding the wanted suspect is asked to notify Detective Mubashshir Tohfafarosh at (718) 626-9334 or Detective Borough Queens North at (718) 520-9200.
Reach reporter Ariel Hernandez by phone at (718) 357-7400, ext. 144, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.