Debate Over a Debate

A debate between candidates for Borough President sparked a debate of its own this month.

Everly-BrownQueens Public Television aired its debate between Melinda Katz and Tony Archabascio several times last week, changing their earlier decision not to air the discussion.

Everly Brown, a third party candidate running on the Jobs and Education line, complained that he was not included in the debate, fueling the station’s original decision to not air the forum.

After criticism for their decision, including from Archabascio, QPTV reversed course and aired the debate 12 times between Oct. 27 and Oct. 31.

Clifford Jacobs, the Programming and Access Services Manager at QPTV, said in a statement that Brown was invited to take part in the debate and chose not to.

“Mr. Everly Brown was invited to take part in the debate but failed to participate thereby forfeiting his equal access or equal time to our channel. Once invited, it is incumbent upon the candidate to appear,” he said.

We’re glad all the hoopla over the debate is finally over and the people of Queens can see the candidates debate from the comfort of their homes.