Just before 1 a.m. on Christmas Day, the FDNY responded to an all-hands fire in Richmond Hill, which left some residents out on the street, reports said.
The fire was located at 95-18 114th St. in Richmond Hill. The Fire Department was on scene at 12:49 a.m. and had the fire out by 1:18 a.m.
According to the FDNY, the fire was caused by unattended candles. Two residents of the building were brought to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center with minor injuries and smoke inhalation, said Deputy Chief Dan Browne.
The New York Post reported that the landlord, Raymond Muntaz, said one of his tenants, who is a veteran, left his candle unattended. The FDNY reported that all the smoke alarms were present and operational, but one of the veteran’s neighbors, Narayan Huggins said in the Post that she had seen him drunk earlier in the evening.
A first-floor resident of the two- floor apartment building said, “All we did was smell smoke and I came out and knocked on doors, told everybody to get out and now look at us, we’re homeless on Christmas.”
The American Red Cross will assist the displaced families. A city Department of Buildings spokesman said that the DOB was not called to the fire to inspect the building. There are no vacate orders for that property.