Casino Buffet Closes

BY LUIS GRONDA
Staff Writer

A struggling eatery inside Resorts World Casino had its doors shuttered this week, leaving about 175 workers without a job.

On Monday, the Casino officially shut down the Aqueduct Buffet restaurant, which was located near the food court on the first floor.

Officials said it was not a popular destination for people who visit the Casino to try their luck at winning money.

“It has been losing money since it opened. It never did well,” said John Turchiano, a spokesman for the New York Hotel and Motel Trades Council, which is the union that represents workers at casinos such as Resorts World.

The Casino sent out a statement on Monday confirming that the buffet had been shut down.

“We have made the difficult decision to close the Aqueduct Buffet, which never caught on with our customers and has consistently lost money. We sincerely regret the impact this closure has on the buffet’s employees and are working closely with the Hotel Trades Council to ease this transition,” said Ed Farrell, Resorts World Casino’s president, in a statement.

Turchiano said the laid-off workers will get a one to five week severance package, depending on their experience, and 120 days of full family medical coverage.

He said the workers will also be meeting with the Council’s job placement office to find new employment for the out-of-work employees.

Reach Luis Gronda at (718) 357-7400, Ext. 127, lgronda@queenstribune.com, or @luisgronda.