BY LYNN EDMONDS
Auburndale is a suburban sub-section of Flushing. It is bounded by 162nd street to the west, 32nd street to the north, Francis Lewis Blvd to the east and 48th Avenue and Pidgeon Meadow Road to the South. Northern Boulevard runs through the middle, as does the Long Island Rail Road. In the southwestern corner is Flushing Cemetery, where the remains of Native Americans as well as African Americans were interred in the 1800s.
Activists like Mandingo Tshaka, a Bayside resident, fought long and hard to preserve the dignity of the individuals interred there. They were frustrated when the notoriously racist Robert Moses paved over the burial ground to place a playground.
In the 1990s, Tshaka protested when they renovated the playground and dug up the remains in the process. Currently, the burial ground is a park and it is maintained by volunteers as well as the parks department. The activists are fighting to have a memorial installed on the site to tell the story of the people who were interred there.
Auburndale is also near to Kissena Park, immediately to the southwest.
Housing stock in the neighborhood consists predominately of Tudors and one and two family homes. The neighborhood was named after Auburndale, Massachusetts, where L.H. Green, who developed the neighborhood, was from. He began developing it in 1901.
Urban planner Paul Graziano helped downzone the area to prevent additional apartment complexes, higher density multi-family houses and McMansions.
The southern part of Auburndale was downzoned recently to preserve the areas spaciousness and green quality.
The neighborhood is home to mostly white, Korean and Chinese Americans.
The Auburndale Improvement Association, the oldest Civic Association in New York City, plays an active role in the neighborhood, as does the Station Road Civic Association.
St. Kevin’s Roman Catholic Church, a large, beautiful church is a landmark and a meeting place in the neighborhood. It also holds a school, St. Kevin Catholic Academy.