143-35 37th Ave., Flushing
Sea merchant and commercial farmer Captain Joseph King purchased this Flushing farmhouse in 1801, and his family and their descendants would live there until the 1930s. Built between 1774 and 1785, the Kingsland Homestead is one of the earliest surviving examples of residential-style construction common throughout Queens in the 18th and 19th centuries. The homestead blends Dutch and English influences brought to America by European colonists.
The homestead, a New York City Landmark, is owned and operated by the Queens Historical Society and open to the public as a museum. It is located in Weeping Beech Park, which was once home to a landmarked 60-foot weeping beech tree that survived for 151 years before it was removed for fear it would fall. Seven direct descendants of that tree remain in the park, shading the Homestead.
Current exhibitions featured at the homestead include “Immigrant Voices,” “Kingsland: Past to Present” and “The Sport of Kings in Queens,” which explores the history of thoroughbred horse racing in the area.